- Start editing
- To start editing a ColorWiki page, click the Edit tab at the top of the page, or the edit link at one of its edges. This brings you to the edit page: a page with a text box containing the wikitext: The editable source code from which the server produces the webpage.
- Type your changes
- You can just type your text. However, also using basic wiki markup (described in the next section) to make links and do simple formatting adds to the value of your contribution, and makes it more readable.
- Summarize your changes
- Write a short edit summary in the small field below the edit-box. You may use shorthand to describe your changes.
- Preview before saving
- When you have finished, click Show preview to see how your changes will look -- before you make them permanent. Repeat the edit/preview process until you are satisfied, then click Save page and your changes will be immediately applied to the article.
The following links go to the Wikipedia site. Editing ColorWiki is very similar to editing in Wikipedia.
- The Quick Guide gives shows you the basic formatting tricks to use when editing pages in the ColorWiki. This is a good place to start if you have never edited before, or have just a little bit to edit. This quick guide fits on one printed page.
Wiki Markeup information
- This is a more thorough treatment of all that is involved in adding or editing text. You will want most of this information when you are going to spend a lot of time in the ColorWiki. The left pane describes what to type and the right side shows what happens as a result.
- At ColorWiki we are following the same basic style conventions as found at Wikipedia. Follow this link to find answers to:
- Naming conventions
- Punctuation rules
- When to use italics, quotation marks, bullets, etc.
There are also useful links concerning layout advice at the end of the Manual of Style.
- If 'a picture is worth a thousand words,' then images will be very useful in discussing color. This link describes how to add images to the ColorWiki and into your edits.
- Configuration settings list
- MediaWiki FAQ
- MediaWiki release mailing list
- User's Guide for information on using the wiki software.
All pages: [Link to All ColorWiki pages]